Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Not Enough Turkey Leftovers?

For all you turkey lovers and especially for those who can't find the time to spend all day cooking a whole turkey, please read on!!! We didn't get to have any turkey at all since we were traveling on Thanksgiving this year. I went to Sunflower Farmer's Market over the weekend for their $1.27 /lb turkey special. They had some fresh turkeys left but only in 20 or more pounds. So, I asked them to cut the whole turkey in half down the breastbone for me. Then I froze one half. The other half I cut up in three pieces, breast, leg and wing. I used the wing to make a soup. The leg and breast I cooked in only 2 hours in my oven. I placed the leg and breast on a large baking sheet and rubbed with a spice blend and olive oil and put it uncovered in a 400 degree oven for 30 minutes. Then I covered the entire pan with foil and turned down to 350 degrees, cooking for another 1.5 hours (this will depend on how big your turkey is.) I used a meat thermometer to make sure it was done, but not overcooked. This is the easiest turkey you will ever make! The meat was flavorful, tender and delicious. And now I have tons of leftover turkey to munch on all week or use in soups and casseroles. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment