Thursday, February 10, 2011

Mexican Chocolate Cake

I just love it when I can take a regular recipe, change one thing, and make it gluten-free! This Mexican Chocolate Cake was really yummy. I served it with Coconut Gelato...yum! I found the recipe in Cooking Light magazine. Here is my gluten-free version...

1 cup gluten-free flour (I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose)
1/3 cup Dutch Process cocoa powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3 large egg whites
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 tablespoon milk
1 ounce Mexican chocolate, chopped (I just used chocolate chips because that was all I had)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 deg.

Spray an 8 inch round cake pan with cooking spray and line with wax paper. Coat wax paper with spray and dust with flour (if desired.) (I just used a springform pan and didn't bother dusting it with flour. It turned out fine.)

Mix dry ingredients well in a bowl.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl and beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg whites, 1 at at time, beating until blended. Gradually add flour mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan, tap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 F for 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Cool 10 minutes in pan on a cooling rack. Place a plate upside down on top of cake, invert. Carefully remove wax paper.

Combine milk and chocolate in a small saucepan and heat gently on stove. Use a small whisk to blend it together as the chocolate melts. Cool slightly and drizzle over cake. Let glaze set and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment